R E U N I O N - Agri 1986 Batch Friends

Friday, July 15, 2011

Success Story Of Dr. Mallik

I am Mallikarjun. I was planning to be a doctor after SSC when fortuitously, I did not get application for MPC but got application for BiPC at St. Alphonsa';s. Thot life was working mysteriously to make me a Doctor. But just few days before teh Medical Entrance, me and my brother had a fall from vehicle and seeing him bleeding, I am fainted and realised that I was too faint hearted for doing Medicine. So out went the Doctor opportunity No. 1.
 
Found a new love in Genetics and plant Breeding and that was the only reason I joined BSc Ag and was my only aim was to do research and bring another green revolution, not even knowing how a rice plant would be. Joined BSc ag. A mediocre and aloof existence in college till South India Tour and RAWEP happened and I changed for the better. The full display of change was at NSS in Nalgonda.My biggest achivement was getting 14th rank in MSc Ag and becoming the last man in to sit alongside Kanaka Durga and Sudha Rani (toppers with more than 9.5 OGPA and me with just 8.68 OGPA) in Msc Genetics and Plant Breeding.I was very keen on doing PhD in Genetics and Plant Breeding and be alonside my idol Dr MS Swaminathan. I thot I was close to becoming a Doctor. And then I did my research in Forage Maize at Forage Research Station in APAU, lost interest in research because of the poor facilities. Did my crop work by December 1990 but submitted my thesis and got my MSc Ag on 31.12.1994. In the meanwhile, I got selected for CSIR Junior Research Fellowship, got thru NABARD Officer's exam, RBI's Officer's exam, Civils Prelims etc. I was invited by Central Aromatic Plants research institute to do PhD but, I had lost interest. Thought that having Dr. before my name was written off.
 
Then came the twist. Joined LLB at Mumbai and continued with LLM but got not too good marks. So the thots of PhD in law vanished as the minimum % of marks required was 55 and I had 53%. Not even eligible for NET. Thot Opportunity No. 3 for a Doctor is gone for ever. 
Then came ad for PhD at National Law School where entry was based not on marks but research proposal. A new window opened and I barged in with a good show at teh selections and was chosen as one of 4 to be eligible to pursue PhD. This was in November 2005. 
Yesterday, 14, July 2011, I cam to know that the 3 external examiners who checked my thesis found that my work is good enough tto be awarded a PhD and so, now I can add Doctor to my name.

DR G. MALLIKARJUN
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER
RESERVE BANK OF INDIA
NEW DELHI 

No comments:

Post a Comment